Sunday, June 10, 2012

If you want something. Go get it. Period.

Christopher Gardner: Hey. Don't ever let somebody tell you... You can't do something. Not even me. All right?
Christopher: All right.
Christopher Gardner: You got a dream... You gotta protect it. People can't do somethin' themselves, they wanna tell you you can't do it. If you want somethin', go get it. Period.
~ The Pursuit of Happyness

When I was watching the Pursuit of Happyness this Friday night, this scenes became one of the most memorable parts of the movie to me. Christopher was discouraged by his dad telling him that he couldn't play basketball, afterwards his dad gave him this solid advice.

Once I reviewed this quote again, it reminded me of the beginning when I started this business: Most people thought I would not make it because I didn't pick up fast and I was too soft. This was a little bit sad because there were some sharp people at the same entry level as me but I was not one of them. However, at that time I told myself if other people could do it I could do it too, and I would do it better. It didn't matter if it took other people one to two weeks to get in leadership, I needed four to five weeks. This was my own race and I believed I would get it eventually, and once I got it I would catch up quickly and passed those who were ahead me. I had the belief because I knew I had mental toughness, good work ethic, the ability and talent to overcome challenges; and most importantly, I wanted it so bad.

Now I've been in this business seven months and one week. After gaining and losing people in my team, making so many mistakes in the past, seeing a person promote and open up an office in east coast, and thinking over and over again about everything I've done in this business, I have the click: I want to get promoted and be successful in the business more than ever. I have everything it takes to be great. Now is the right time for me to step up and have a lot of office presence. I have a timeline in my mind and I will accomplish every milestone on that timeline.

If you want something. Go get it. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment